Increase Your Frames Per Second!
- Most of the following suggestions are configurable in the game’s Options menu, accessible by pressing Esc.
- Turn down your render distance. (default keys: F3 + F)
- Set graphics from Fancy to Fast.
- Turn off smooth lighting and clouds.
- Set particles to minimal.
- Minimize any programs in the background and close any internet browser. (Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Chrome, Opera, etc.)
- Disable sound effects.
- Make sure no other programs are running while Minecraft is.
- Hide the HUD by pressing F1.
- Looking at the sky has also been known to increase FPS. However if you are deep underground, looking down toward The Void may also.
- If in multiplayer, hold down Tab ?. This will show the online players. The more players, the more lag there will be, so this could be a problem. Note that this is mostly network lag rather than FPS processing. Try playing on singleplayer.
Outside of Minecraft
- Make sure you have RAM available (in a program such as a task manager), else your computer may swap to disk, which will cause Minecraft to slow down by a lot.
- Do not run other CPU or GPU-intensive programs while Minecraft is open.
- Turn off Aero in Windows Vista/7.
- Update graphic card drivers and make sure antialiasing and anisotropic filtering are turned off in the driver settings.